Safety and Training Officer, City of Boulder (Open Space and Mountain Parks)
Summary of Qualifications
- Four years as Safety and Training Officer
- ASSP certificates in Safety Management as well as the ASSP Executive Safety Program Management
- OSHA 10/30
- Certified trainer for heavy equipment, and UTV's
- Design, implement and manage the safety program for the City of Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks department.
- Reviews and improves policies and procedures to improve safety program
- Trains and certifies staff on all equipment including backhoes, skid steers, excavators, farm equipment, UTV's and all other equipment used
Jay is a Colorado local with a long history of hard work in the private sector and local government with a passion for the outdoors. Through his experience on the ground, he has seen both sides of the safety "stigma" and now looks to improve the way both employer and employee look to enhance safety cultures. Jay strives to balance traditional safety standards with a new inspirational approach of wellness-based safety that focuses on both physical and mental wellness to prevent injuries. He leads with a proactive, supportive and robust wellness program to improve a safety program and shift employees mindset when it comes to safety.
Since implementation, Open Space and Mountain Parks has seen considerable improvements in both cost per injury as well as duration. Jay works closely with risk management to evaluate and strive for continued improvement in cost savings for the department and potential implementation on a broader spectrum throughout the city.
- 16 years with the City of Boulder, Open Space and Mountain Parks
- Member of American Society of Safety Professionals
- Member for
- 1 year 10 months