Gary Jennings, CPCU, ARM, ALCM, AIC, ARe, SCLA
Principal of Strategic Claims Direction, LLC
Summary of Qualifications
Gary Jennings, CPCU, ARM, ALCM, AIC, ARe, SCLE, is a property/casualty claims consultant with over 40 years of claims experience. He has worked over 20 years as a claims consultant and has served many public entity clients. Since forming Strategic Claims Direction (SCD) over 7 years ago, most of his clients have been in the public entity sector. Prior to forming SCD, Gary worked for insurers, third party administrators, corporations, independent adjusters, and two of the "Big 4" consulting firms (PwC LLP and KPMG LLP). His employment experience allows him to bring a wide range of expertise to his clients to help them develop their claims programs. Gary is a frequent speaker at professional conferences and has authored numerous articles, some of them being included in PUBLIC Risk magazine. His next PUBLIC RISK article is scheduled for October 2016.
SCD performs a wide variety of claims-related engagements. Gary leads and performs all engagements. He works throughout the United States performing:
1. Claims audits, to compare the program to leading industry practices and/or contract requirements, These audits may be to meet statutory requirements, to meet AGRiP certification, or to meet requirements set out by the board of directors or commissioners.
2. Reserve reviews to evaluate the reasonableness of reserving procedures and the estimates. This may be needed when public entity risk management programs merge, when a concern arises about reserving by a TPA or self-administered program, or to support a casualty actuarial evaluation.
3. Claims efficiency studies, which include an analysis of the claims processes to identify redundant or unnecessary steps, to determine if the claims personnel should be realigned to optimize Return on Investment (ROI), to determine if system enhancements are necessary to improve efficiency, or if other steps are needed.
4. Assistance in TPA selection, including development of the claims-related requirements, creation of a grading methodology, identifying TPAs that meet the clients' needs regarding expertise and geographic spread, evaluating proposals as received, and working throughout the TPA selection process to select the TPA that best meets the clients' needs.
5. Developing claims manuals or other procedural documentation to provide direction for public entity risk management staff, TPAs, medical management organizations, and others.
6. Provide expert testimony relative to claims handling, reserving, and excess insurance reporting.
Prior to forming SCD Gary worked for the following firms:
Crawford & Company - Director Technology & Process Management
KPMG LLP - Manager, Claims Consulting
PwC LLP - Director, Claims Consulting
International Paper - Supervisor, Workers' Compensation Claims
Travelers Insurance - Claims Supervisor
This broad experience from several different perspectives provides Gary with the ability to provide his clients with "real world" answers to improve their programs.
BS BA - University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Member for
- 3 years 9 months