- Encourage Active Participation – Most workshops have one or two people that are hesitant to be involved because they are uncomfortable expressing themselves in a group setting. However, history has shown that many major discoveries and advances in human knowledge have come from introverts, so make every effort to help them join the discussion. Be careful that your efforts do not lead to embarrassment; kindly and respectfully invite participation and warmly commend responsiveness.
- Ask Questions – Effective questions stimulate discussion, provide valuable feedback to the facilitator, encourage innovative thinking, and lead to important risk and opportunity discoveries. Use them often and judiciously.
- Foster Communication – One of the major benefits of effective implementation of ERM using ISO 31000 is the enhancement of intradepartmental and interdepartmental communication. Such communication breaks down silos and leads to enterprise efficiencies and cooperation. Highlight this point emphatically and regularly.
- Keep Focused – The great thing about an effective workshop is that it gets creative juices flowing. However, if creativity is not properly focused it will become an obstacle by bogging down the workshop with too much extraneous discussion. Your job as the facilitator is to encourage creative discussion but also to redirect the discussion if it veers too far off course.
- Emphasize ISO 31000 Principles – If you are conducting an ISO 31000 risk workshop, consider yourself a pioneer in the field of risk management! Be proud of your passion for and knowledge of the standard and direct your participants’ attention to it as often as possible!
Do you host risk workshops at your entity? If so, what are some of the techniques you employ to make sure that they are successful?